Donating land to the Littleton Conservation Trust, to another land trust, or to a public conservation agency, is the simplest form of permanent land protection. An added benefit is that the land will be managed and protected in perpetuity by a conservation organization that you’ve chosen. There are multiple ways to gift land. You should always consult tax and legal professionals when evaluating land donation options. After consulting the appropriate professionals, inquiries about donating land to Littleton Conservation Trust should be sent to:
Kathy Stevens, President
Littleton Conservation Trust
P.O. Box 594
Littleton, MA 01460
OUTRIGHT GIFT OF LAND:
You may wish to donate land for one or more of the following reasons: 1) you would like to see the property protected in perpetuity; 2) you own a property that has had a high appreciation in value; 3) you wish to reduce your real estate tax burden; 4) your property is no longer used or wanted; and 5) your property is considered unbuildable and has conservation value.
- Permanent protection of open space
- The fair market value of the property is generally tax-deductible
- The real estate tax burden is eliminated
- The size of the estate is reduced, thereby reducing future state and federal tax consequences
DONATION OF LAND BY BEQUEST:
You can opt to bequest land in your will to a land conservation organization.
- Allows the landowner enjoyment of their property during their lifetime
- If during a landowner’s lifetime circumstances change, the will can be re-written
- Removes the property from the estate which reduces the tax burden for the heirs
RESERVED LIFE ESTATE
You can donate land to a conservation organization but continue to use the property until your death. The longer the period of expected use, the lower the value of the gift for tax purposes.
- A charitable deduction is derived from the donation depending on the landowners life expectancy
- The landowner continues to enjoy their use of the property
Donate to LCT’s Land Acquisition Fund
LCT has established a land acquisition fund to support future purchases of land for conservation in Littleton.
Visit the Land Acquisition Fund page for details.